The Curtiss XA-14 was a 1930s United States airplane, the first multi-engine attack aircraft tested by the United States Army Air Corps. Carrying a crew of two, it was as fast as the standard pursuit aircraft in service at the time.
Originally built as an in-house venture as the Curtiss Model 76, powered by two experimental Wright XR-1510 radial engines, flight testing was sufficiently impressive that after the USAAC appraisal the Model 76 was returned to Curtiss and fitted with two 775 hp (578 kW) Wright R-1670-5 Cyclone engines with constant-speed propellers.
This configuration was accepted by the Army with the designation XA-14. It had standard Army markings with the serial number 36-146.
The Model 76 was of all-metal construction with an oval section semimonocoque fuselage, described as "pencil slim". The XA-14 was extensively tested, at one stage being fitted with a 37 mm (1.46 in) nose cannon.
In July 1936, 13 developed versions, re-engined with two Wright R-1820-47 Cyclone twin-row radials, were ordered into production as the Y1A-18.
Length: 40 ft 3 in (12.3 m)
Wingspan: 59 ft 5 in (18.11 m)
Height: 10 ft 9 in (3.3 m)
Max. takeoff weight: 11,750 lb (5,330 kg)
Powerplant: 2 × Wright R-1670-5 radials, 775 hp (578 kW) each
Maximum speed: 254 mph (221 kn, 409 km/h)
Range: 825 mi (717 nmi, 1,328 km)
Service ceiling: 27,100 ft (8,260 m)
Armament: 4 × 7.62 mm M1919 Browning machine guns forward-firing
1 × 7.62 mm machine gun aft-firing + 650 lb (295 kg) bombs in internal bay