Letov S 218 A Smolik (Shmolik) oli Suomen ilmavoimien toinen merkittävä koulukone vuosina 1939–45. Konetta valmisti tšekkoslovakialainen Letovin lentokonetehdas.
Koneita hankittiin Tšekkoslovakiasta 10 kappaletta.
Koneita valmistettiin myös suomen valtion lentokonetehtaalla lisenssillä 29 kpl lisää.
Kone sai Suomessa nimensä suunnittelijansa insinööri Alois Šmolíkin mukaan. Tehtaan nimi koneelle oli Komar (hyttynen).
Kärkiväli: 10,00 m
Pituus: 6,90 m
Siipipinta-ala: 16,30 m²
Tyhjäpaino: 510 kg
Lentopaino: 742 kg
Matkalentonopeus: 150 km/h
Lentomatka: 375 km
Lakikorkeus: 4 000 m
Voimalaite: yksi Walter NZ-tähtimoottori, teho 120 hv.
Suomen ilmailumuseossa on yksi Smolik.
Yhtä Smolik-replikaa rakennetiin Suomessa vuonna 2005...
The Letov Š-18 was a Czechoslovak single-engined, two-seat biplane trainer. It was designed by Alois Smolík at Letov Kbely. Š-18 first flew in 1925.
The aircraft was quite successful and sold well both to private pilots and to flight clubs. Apart from the basic variant there was also still the type Š-118, which was equipped with a Walter NZ-85 engine (85 hp, 63 KW). Some machines were exported to Bulgaria.
The Czechoslovakian Air Force used the type 1925 to 1930 as a beginner trainer aircraft. A complete reconstruction of the fuselage led to the Š-218, which had a steel tube frame and was equipped with a Walter NZ-120 engine (120 hp, 88 KW). The first flight of this type took place in 1926.
In 1929, one Š-218 Smolik was presented at Helsinki International Air Show. The Finnish Air Force showed interest in the type and purchased it in March, 1930, in order to test it. Nine more were soon ordered along with the manufacturing license. The nine aircraft ordered from Czechoslovakia arrived to Kauhava Aviation School in May–June, 1931.
Length: 6.90 m (22 ft 8 in)
Wingspan: 10.00 m (32 ft 10 in)
Height: 3.10 m (10 ft 2 in)
Wing area: 16.30 m² (175.4 ft²)
Empty weight: 510 kg (1,124 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 742 kg (1,636 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Walter NZ-120 radial engine, 90 kW (120 hp
Cruise speed: 150 km/h (81 knots, 93 mph)
Range: 375 km (200 nm, 230 mi)
Service ceiling: 4,000 m (13,125 ft)
The Finnish State Aircraft Factory manufactured 29 slightly modified aircraft in three series. The first ten were ready in 1933, the second series of ten aircraft were ready in 1935, and nine more in 1936.
The Finnish version, which was equipped with a Bramo radial engine of 145 hp (110 kW) could develop a maximum speed of 155 km/h (83 knots, 96 mph). The type was in service with the Finnish Air Force as a primary trainer between 1930 - 1945.
One aircraft is still preserved at the Finnish Aviation museum in Vantaa.
One replica is being built in Finland (as of 2005).